The Department of Classics at Northwestern University invites applications for a one-year appointment at the rank of Visiting Assistant Professor for the academic year 2017-2018. This is a full-time and benefits eligible position.
The successful candidate will teach six classes (two per quarter) at any undergraduate level in the literature, history, or culture of ancient Greece, in his or her areas of expertise and interest, in original texts or in translation. Subfields are open. Strong evidence of dynamic, successful teaching is essential. Candidates with Ph.D. in hand will be given preference, and the position requires a Ph.D. by September 1, 2017. Applications should consist of a cover letter, a CV, a writing sample of 20 pages or less, two sample syllabi, and evidence of teaching effectiveness, which may include teaching evaluations, student or observer comments, or other materials. Please also request three letters of recommendation, at least one of which should address teaching directly. Applications should be made using the Online Application. If the link does not work you you can copy and paste this: https://facultysearch.weinberg.northwestern.edu/apply/index/MjM5. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017, to ensure full consideration, but we will continue to review applications until the position is filled.
The Department of Classics at Northwestern is an active community of teachers and students engaging in research and teaching across the spectrum of ancient studies, as well as the wider study of the humanities at Northwestern, with a special interest in classical reception studies.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
UPDATE 2/22/17: We have corrected a function of the application portal that required applicants to submit material in every category. Required categories in the application are now marked with an asterisk. Other categories are now optional.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to the application page.
If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only
have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation.
If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise, your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents: Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading. File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents. The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application (see above). All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application"
button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by March 1, 2017, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received. If you have any questions about submitting your application, please contact
Alison Witt-Janssen at 847.491.7597 or firstname.lastname@example.org